The Barracuda Web Application Firewall features a flexible rule-matching engine which gives administrators the flexibility to create rules for handling and manipulating traffic. Different modules of the Barracuda Web Application Firewall rely on the rule-matching engine to perform different operations, such as:
- Send Web requests coming in from a specific IP network to a defined set of servers.
- Send traffic from mobile phones or other devices to a designated set of servers while simultaneously directing traffic from desktop or laptop browsers to other servers.
- Ensure that search engine bots that access the Web site for indexing are directed to only one server, avoiding unnecessary load on the remainder of the servers.
- Cache static data or compress responses from a portion of the Web site.
- Translate URLs, or add/modify/delete headers of the incoming requests and/or outgoing responses.