As you can imagine, ransomware has become a big business for cybercriminals. Here are some quick numbers to give you a picture of just how big it has become:
- In 2016, the rate of ransomware infections increased 500% in 8 months.
- On average, a ransomware variant will infect between 30,000 – 35,000 devices in a month, with some variants reaching up to 150,000 infections.
- There were 50 new variants of ransomware developed each month during the first six months of 2016
- During that same time period, one unknown ransomware actor (individual or group) made $94 million in profit
- Cerber ransomware brought in $195,000 in payments in July 2016
- Ransomware profits are expected to reach $1 billion in 2017