This week our team is at the Montrêux Golf & Country Club in Reno for the Barracuda Championship, also known as “the Barracuda.” This event is part of the PGA TOUR, and the winner takes 300 FedExCup Points and a piece of a $3.1 million prize. You can learn more about the Barracuda here and the PGA TOUR here.
The Barracuda is the only event in the PGA TOUR that uses a “Modified Stableford” scoring format. This type of scoring is designed to encourage players to be more aggressive in their play. It also has the effect of making tournament play faster and more fun:
“It’s fun,” said defending champion Gary Woodland. “It’s nice to change it up. You get kind of the same thing week in and week out. It’s nice to have a change. I think this is a great golf course for it. With the conditions playing how they are with the wind, it allows you to still be aggressive and not have to worry about losing too much ground.”
I really love the Stableford format,” echoed J.J. Henry, who won here in 2012, the first year of the Modified Stableford system. “When I first heard the switch, I know I can speak for a lot of players, we’re excited. It’s the only one on TOUR. That and (the two or three opportunities to play) match play, guys like change. And the golf course is a perfect fit. There’s a lot of risk-reward. It’s a fun format on a unique golf course.”
The tournament isn’t the only fun thing happening at the Barracuda. Visitors can enjoy golf clinics, kids day, wine walking with tasting stations, live music presented by Coors Light, yard games, a bartender / cocktail competition, and more. There’s also a Patriot’s Lunch at the Reno Air National Guard base. And of course, the Eldorado Pro/Am tournament takes place today.
The Barracuda Championship is also working for some of our favorite charities:
- Doctors Supporting Troops: A unique initiative through which local doctors sponsor military members and veterans to participate together in the Pro-Am on Monday, August 3.
- Birdies for Charity: Members of participating local golf clubs pledge to donate set amounts for every net birdie they make in their club tournaments. All proceeds benefit the First Tee of Northern Nevada and the Northern Nevada junior Golf Association. Since 2010, the clubs of the Birdies for Charity Program have raised $49,712.
- Chip in for Schools: Barracuda Championship Chip In For Schools vouchers are event tickets that are good for any one day of the tournament. 100% of the proceeds go to the school of the seller’s choice.
- Patriots’ Luncheon: This luncheon takes place at the Reno Air National Guard Base. Ticket proceeds benefit the Veterans Guest House.
- Nature’s Bakery Heroes Hangout: Nature’s Bakery, Coors Light, and Pepsico join forces to offer our service members and first responders a chance to enjoy the tournament. Heroes get viewing space at the ninth green and complimentary refreshments.
As for the tournament, Geoff Ogilvy is returning this year to defend his 2014 title. If successful, he will be only the second back-to-back winner at the event. (Vaughn Taylor won back-to-back in 2004-05). Other returning players include Jason Allred, John Daly, David Duval, Retief Goosen, Patrick Rodgers and David Toms.
Brandon Hagy will be wearing the Barracuda logo at this year’s event. Brandon’s major championship debut was last month, at the US Open. He played college golf at the University of California, where he earned multiple scholar-athlete honors, and graduated from the Haas School of Business. You can learn more about Brandon in this interview, which took place shortly after he won the 2014 Byron Nelson Award:
For coverage of the Barracuda Championship, tune into the Golf Channel this week:
Thursday: 3:30-6:30 pm
Friday: 3:30-5:30 pm
Saturday-Sunday: 3-6 pm
Our CEO BJ Jenkins will be featured in the coverage on Friday and Sunday, in the 4pm hour.
All times are PDT. You can check the Golf Channel programming schedule here for local times and scheduled rebroadcasts.
Alongside the Barracuda Championship, Barracuda is hosting our Partner Advisory Council (PAC) where select partners will be coming for executive briefings, trainings, and sharing best practices. They’ll also have the opportunity to mix and mingle with some of the PGA TOUR players and attend the Championship itself. Partners interested in learning more about our PAC can contact Lauren Cutter, Lcutter (at) barracuda (dot) com.
Barracuda is also co-hosting a small business summit on Friday, August 7, from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM PDT. The summit takes place at the Montreux Golf and Country Club. From the signup page here:
This interactive summit will focus on helping local businesses learn how to successfully market their business online. Key areas for discussion include the following.
- What are the elements of a great website?
- How do I increase traffic to my website and to my business?
- Is my website “working” for my business?
- How do I market my business on Google, Facebook and Twitter?
- 9:00am – Registration, Networking & Refreshments
- 10:00am – Opening remarks
- 10:30am – Barracuda Presentation
- 11:00am – Web.com Presentation
- 11:45am – Q&A and Networking
The Barracuda presentation will be delivered by Danny Milrad, Director, Product Marketing. All summit attendees will receive one complimentary ticket to the Barracuda Championship. Register here.