Barracuda recently announced that our Mobile Device Manager now supports Android as well as iOS devices. This opens up the availability and usefulness of the Barracuda MDM to potentially millions of new customers.
Mobile Device Management, or MDM, is a solution that allows IT Admins to manage smartphones and tablets from the cloud or an MDM server. Depending on the specific MDM solution, Admins can deploy software, enable access to resources, track devices, remotely wipe data from devices, apply browsing policies, and more. This allows the organization to benefit from the advantages of mobility and BYOD, yet still enforce network access policies.
Why is this necessary? There have been quite a few studies on the benefits of a mobile workforce, and most include a few common findings: productivity is enhanced, apps are streamlined, and user satisfaction is increased. As a result, many companies have embraced mobility and BYOD initiatives over the past five years. Others have been forced to deal with it by end-users who want access from their smartphones, or by their competition who enjoy the faster transaction times of a mobile workforce.
Even the companies that have embraced BYOD may struggle with mobile management:
- How do we keep track of all of these devices?
- How do we make the users happy while still protecting the network?
- How will all of these devices impact our wireless network?
- What if a phone with company data is stolen?
- How do I make sure that the company is protected from rogue apps and other mobile-borne threats?
- Can a user's personal device circumvent network security?
- How do I enforce security policies across mobile devices?
- What is the impact on compliance? Are there special rules for mobile devices?
- Will these mobile devices interact properly with our directory services?
- Is this really worth it? What is the ROI on BYOD?
- What devices are we willing to support? What about users who change phones or tablets frequently?
Generally speaking, a mobile device manager is going to help resolve many of the above issues. Most MDM solutions will allow Admins to perform the following functions:
- Automatic and simple device updates
- Remote configuration and monitoring
- Policy enforcement for things like passwords, blacklists, access, etc.
- Backup/restore functionality of corporate data
- Logging/reporting for compliance purposes
- Remote disconnection or disabling of unauthorized devices and applications
The problem for many SMEs is that the cost of an MDM solution is out of reach or the selection of an MDM is just overwhelming. Some find themselves wondering if the risk of mobile devices is worth the effort and cost of an MDM. Other companies are still in the exploratory stages of BYOD, or simply do not know how to justify the cost of an MDM solution at this time.
The Barracuda Mobile Device Manager is a robust MDM solution that offers an attractive return on investment. Here are just some of the features of our MDM:
- Device configuration
- Network access
- Application management
- Data leak prevention
- Remote monitoring & support
Barracuda Mobile Device Manager also supports a secure eSignature workflow through mobile devices with our SignNow integration.
Barracuda Mobile Device Manager is available at no charge to customers and the public at large. To get started, take a look at our techlib documentation here.