The 2014 Q1 APWG trends report is available and the numbers are clear: phishing attacks continue to increase in every significant way.
APWG is the Anti-Phishing Workgroup, a coalition of more than 2,000 institutions from across the globe. The purpose of the APWG is to unify the global response to cybercrime across industry, government, and law-enforcement sectors. The APWG issues a quarterly phishing trends report, which includes details on the number of phishing sites, brands targeted by phishing attacks, and so on.
Here's a quick look at the data from the most recent report:
- The number of phishing sites leaped by 10.7 percent over the fourth quarter of 2013.
- The number of brands targeted by phishers was up, from 525 targeted in the fourth quarter of 2013 to 557 in the first quarter of 2014.
- The number of phishing attacks observed in Q1 was 125,215. That is the second-highest number of sites detected in a first quarter, eclipsed only by the 164,032 seen in the first quarter of 2012.
- Payment Services continued to be the most- targeted industry sector.
- 32.7 percent of personal computers around the world were infected with malware, aware, or spyware.
Barracuda is a Sponsoring Member of APWG. You can get information on our award-winning content security solutions here:
These products provide award-winning protection from spyware, viruses, and suspicious activity like phishing and social engineering. You can try a 30-day risk-free trial deployment of these products by filling out this form.
Ferma Corporation relies on Barracuda content security solutions.
Connect with APWG on Twitter @apwg