Our recent case study discusses how a Denmark school was able to leverage the Barracuda NG Firewall to meet a wide variety of needs. I thought I'd follow up on it to discuss how the NG Firewall fits into two initiatives in particular, which are simplification and scalability.
If you've read the case study, you noticed that both of these concepts were of particular importance. The school has a two-member IT staff to handle 800 students plus the faculty and staff. The school was already committed to digital learning techniques, online research, and other modern educational technology. Once they added BYOD and robust wireless access to the mix, they had to re-evaluate their network and confirm that the infrastructure and staff could support the full learning environment.
The goal to simplify the administration of the network usually requires that certain conditions be met:
- Reduced number of devices
- Easy to use, intuitive administration portals
- Easy access to updates
- Easy access to tech support
- Simple licensing structure
These goals are pretty straightforward. Barracuda NG Firewall meets these goals in the following ways:
- Reduced number of devices: The Barracuda NG Firewall capabilities include traffic shaping, VLAN management, FTP server, DHCP server, URL filtering, and robust reporting. There is no need to introduce additional devices or services to perform these functions.
- Administration portals: Barracuda is known for our easy-to-use solutions and our intuitive management portals. Additionally, the Barracuda NG Control Center allows admins to manage multiple devices and set up multiple administrators through a single interface.
- Updates: Barracuda offers Energize Updates, a subscription service that allows customers to easily download the latest firmware through the administration portal. The latest threat definitions are automatically deployed.
- Tech support: Barracuda offers award-winning 24×7 tech support, with no frustrating phone trees.
- Simple licensing structure: No per-user or per-feature license fees with Barracuda NG Firewall. We offer affordable, all-inclusive pricing to keep costs low.
Scalability is the same way. Admins need a solution that will allow them to easily add devices and services to the network without creating a bunch of additional overhead. Here's how the Barracuda NG Firewall helps with that:
- Barracuda licensing model makes it easy to scale as needed, without keeping track of every user and feature in use
- Integrated capabilities such as VLAN management and traffic shaping contribute to the scalability of the network infrastructure
- Pre-configured deployment templates for simple rollout
- Robust real-time reporting on one or all Barracuda NG Firewalls in the network
- The Barracuda NG Control Center puts a lot of management power into a single pane of glass:
- Central management
- Revision control
- Policy enforcement across the enterprise
- Integrated Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
- Role based administration for multiple admins
- Configuration groups
- Central licensing center
- See our datasheet on the Barracuda NG Control Center (pdf) for more details
These features are a big help for a small IT staff.
If you would like more about the Barracuda NG Firewall, there are some great resources on our corporate website:
- Barracuda NG Firewall product page
- Barracuda NG Firewall Vx
- Technical documentation
- Risk-free 30-day free demo unit
Be sure to see the original case study to get the details that inspired this particular stream of consciousness. And if you have any questions, comments, or feedback, connect with us at Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter or Google +. Check out our videos on YouTube.
Christine Barry is Senior Chief Blogger and Social Media Manager at Barracuda. In this role, she helps bring Barracuda stories to life and facilitate communication between the public and Barracuda internal teams. Prior to joining Barracuda, Christine was a field engineer and project manager for K12 and SMB clients for over 15 years. She holds several technology credentials, a Bachelor of Arts, and a Master of Business Administration. She is a graduate of the University of Michigan.
Connect with Christine on LinkedIn here.