My previous blog post covered social media in the enterprise. In order to safely use Social Media in the workplace, admins need to regulate usage to block non-business related activities (like Facebook games) as well as monitor content posted on social media portals for data leaks and other inappropriate activity.
Traditional web content security solutions have a hard time with this since most of the social media portals and search engines today encrypt data over SSL. SSL was designed to secure communication between an end user and a server on the internet by ensuring data and identity privacy. SSL was first used to secure online financial transactions and give people confidence to shop online. Now SSL is seeing expanded use to secure your personal data as well on search engines Google and Yahoo and social media portals like Facebook and Twitter. In fact, many of these portals SSL encrypt transactions by default. While keeping personal data private is a great benefit to the user, it makes things more difficult for secure web gateways. In order to regulate and monitor SSL encrypted traffic, a secure web gateway must decrypt the traffic, inspect and apply policies and then re-encrypt the traffic before relaying it to the destination without introducing any additional delays. Therefore, SSL inspection must be done carefully to balance security requirements without impacting performance.
Barracuda Web Filters support SSL inspection.
Previously, SSL inspection was available in transparent and forward proxy deployments on Barracuda Web Filter models 910, 1010 and 1011 and in forward proxy deployments for Barracuda Web Filter models 610 and 810. Admins were required to specific domains and/or content categories to inspect.
Firmware 7.1 expands SSL inspection across the Barracuda Web Filter model lineup while making it easier to use.
- In both transparent and forward proxy deployments, Barracuda Web Filter model 410 and above can apply SSL inspection when enforcing safe search policies on common search engines and when redirecting traffic to the YouTube for Schools portal.
- In both transparent and forward proxy deployments, Barracuda Web Filter models 610 and above can automatically apply SSL inspection when enforcing policies related to usage and monitoring of Web Applications like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
- The SSL inspection features on the Barracuda Web Filters make it easy for admins to leverage the Web Application Control and Web Application Monitoring features to safely enable social media usage in an enterprise or school environment. For example:
- In a school environment, Web Application Monitoring can be used to scan and alert for suspicious keywords in postings on social media sites. This helps pre-empt incidents of cyber-bullying and violence.
- In a business network that uses Google Apps for Business, admins can use Web Application Control to ensure that users are only using the features required for business. For example admins can allow access to Gmail, Calendar, and Docs while preventing access to Drive, Chrome Web store or Wallet.
To learn more about SSL inspection on the Barracuda Web Filter, you can view our whitepaper here .
For more information about the Barracuda Web Filter, take a look at these resources:
- Barracuda Web Filter product page
- Barracuda Web Filter Vx product page
- Technical documentation
- Product blogs
- Live demo (user: guest pwd: [blank])
- Risk-free 30-day free demo unit